Thursday, November 11, 2010

Product Review – Kauai 100% Hawaiian Coffee

I just recently began drinking coffee on a regular basis so I am a relative newcomer to the caffeinated wonder that is coffee. Late last year I was introduced to one of the best coffees I had ever tasted and immediately became hooked. I had tried various coffees several times throughout my life but none of them offered what it would take to get me to become a regular. In other words, I wasn’t hooked. If 4 to 6 cups a day can be considered regular then I guess I am now hooked.

After drinking my new found hot cup of love for several months, I decided to compare it with other brands. Each brand I tried left me wanting to come back to the one that got me hooked in the first place. All of the others lacked in flavor and they lacked in the much sought after buzz factor. I always went back to my first love, Hawaiian Isles Kona Coffee Company.

The brand I am testing this week also comes from Hawaii, Kauai Coffee Company. The flavor is Chocolate Macadamia and it is a ground medium roast.

The richness of the flavor and the resulting ‘high’ is exactly what I look for in a legal substance. J But seriously, I don’t do drugs and I am not particularly fond of the after effects of alcohol. I do enjoy this newly found rush of caffeine and Kauai Coffee Company delivers just what I currently crave.

Their website boasts its commitment to sustainability and I am all for that. But, I am just cynical enough to take whatever any business says about their “environmentally friendly” status with a grain of salt. You can read about it on the website and make your own determination.

I have learned that I am partial to the flavor Chocolate Macadamia. I make no apologies, I make no excuses. I realize that some coffee-purist will probably poo-poo my flavor of choice as not being truly coffee-based but I have tried pure Columbian, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan, Ethiopian, Brazilian, and others. So far, hands down, Hawaiian coffee is my favorite and Chocolate Macadamia is my flavor of choice. This may taint my view of coffee adversely and I do apologize for that, but Hawaiian coffee is, so far, the only type where I can find this flavor.

I have only just begun to scratch the surface of the wonderful and very prolific world of coffee and am still very much a novice. I can only voice my opinion on what I have personally tried and of the brands I have tried (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Kona, Millstone, Eight O’clock, and several others) Kauai is now my hands down favorite. I have found all of the others lacking in any richness and complexity that, in my humble opinion, any coffee drinker should demand, otherwise, what is the point? A good buzz, sure, but really flavor should rank at the very top, right?

I have seen coffee priced over a very wide range and have decided to forego the cheaper priced ones (thinking there is probably very little substance to them) as well as the most common brands, i.e., Maxwell House, Folgers, etc. Perhaps this is because I am growing ever more weary of name-brand anything. My distrust of mainstream products runs deep for many reasons that will become the topic of future posts. Suffice it to say that I prefer to swim outside the mainstream and do my business with smaller companies that tend to try harder to gain their market share and therefore build up their reputation.

I drink my coffee with milk to help cut down on the acid and I do not add any sugar. I really don’t think milk changes the flavor very much if at all. it certainly does not mask it.

I have a Krupps 4 cup coffeemaker that serves my purposes just fine. And as long as it continues to do so, I am perfectly happy with it.

If you are a coffee drinker looking for a little something more out of your cup of Joe, then give these guys a try. You won’t be disappointed.

This product review is done completely on my own without any compensation or prompting at all. It is something I enjoy doing and I do it all on my own.


No comments: