Sunday, February 6, 2011

Whole Wheat Crepes and Cherry Compote


I woke up this morning wanting crepes. Never made them before. They turned out delicious. I used Krusteaz Wheat & Honey pancake mix and frozen cherries. When you live within a budget you make the best of what you have.

The wheat pancake mix was thinned out as much as I dared make it without it being completely watery. When I poured it onto the hot skillet, I tilted the skillet to allow the mix to spread out to form a larger thinner pancake. I was so afraid of burning the first one that I flipped it a little before its time, but after that I exercised a bit more patience and they came out remarkably well.

The compote was made by using frozen cherries, 3/4 cup water, ½ cup sugar, ¼ cup lime juice (RealLime worked great). Bring to a boil, reduce heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasional. In a separate bowl I mixed together 1 tablespoon each cornstarch and orange juice. After removing the cherries from the heat and mixed the cornstarch/orange juice mixture in and placed the pan back to boil for one minute. After boiling for another minute, reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes to thicken.

This was a really great tasting breakfast. Things tend to get a bit hectic while making the cakes but they were well worth it.

I thought the compote was a tad bit too sweet so will cut back a little on the sigar next time.

The whipped cream on top was a wonderful touch. We had Cool Whip and Ready Whip so I used a little of each for comparison and found the Ready Whip much better. After all it is a real dairy product whereas Cool Whip is not.

Note: I did not get paid in anyway for mentioning any brand name mentioned here. The mix has been a favorite of our family for a very long time. The juice was easier than squeezing a bunch of limes.

No comments: